Without a doubt I knew that I had to photograph Abaigeal’s wedding – a neighbour from Buffalo, I’ve watched her grow up over the years. I’ll never forget giving Abaigeal a tour of the U of C campus and feeling like her big sister when I did. So when she told me her happy news, without a doubt I changed our vacation plans, and set out to photograph her wedding on my own wedding anniversary. A quaint and elegant wedding set in the majestic Rocky Mountains in Banff, Alberta. Darren and Abaigeal – I am honoured to have witnessed and captured your perfect wedding day.
What an amazing photography session I had with Brooklyn. Nothing like photographing a beautiful confident young lady, on a beautiful evening in Kimberley. It’s days like these that I can’t help but feel so fortunate to do what I love. And I loved everything about this session.
Fabulous couple, beautiful mountains, and a gorgeous evening make for a fantastic engagement photo shoot. You know you are in the Kootenays when a groom proposes to his fiancé with a mountain bike rather than a diamond ring – love it! I am seriously excited for Hayley and Trevor’s wedding in just 3 days – it’s going to be amazing!
What exactly is the Doodlebug? I get asked this question around Kimberley all the time. The term “doodlebugger” is a generic name for a seismic field worker.
The Doodlebug is the premier social event for the Canadian Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Steeped in tradition, the event has been running for 62 years. It is a time where folks from the industry gather together to network, golf, enjoy the mountains, and contribute to the vast collection of Doodlebug stories. I just can’t say enough about the camaraderie that comes out of an event like this.
I have personally attended the event and served on the committee – both rewarding experiences. Nowadays, I photograph the event, and work as the local liaison here in Kimberley, BC.
If you are considering attending the event or are wondering about the event, here are my top 10 reasons to be a part of the Doodlebug:
1. A weekend in the mountains, golfing at Trickle Creek, Kimberley, BC – it’s rather beautiful here!
2. Not all the games are serious – show up on Thursday to enjoy the warm up round. Relax and get to know the course.
3. Once in a while even I like to put on a dress and enjoy a fabulous formal dinner.
4. Shenanigans. Lots of them. Never a shortage of shenanigans.
5. The spouses possibly have more fun than anybody. Photo credit: The Real Mackenzie
6. If you work in the seismic industry, it would do your career a lot of good to have a coveted Doodlebug ceramic proudly displayed in your office.
7. The chance to participate in a 62 year long tradition of the Main tournament and the Chuckwagons. Who will reign as Mr. Doodlebug this year?
8. Charity. A huge component. Throughout the weekend you will enjoy unique ways to contribute to a charity of the Chairman’s choice. Last year $18,000 was raised – pretty darn impressive if you ask me!
9. Have I mentioned tradition? I love being apart of it, and helping to honour and carry on 62 years of Doodlebug stories. Check out these ceramics and keepsakes from the early days.
10. The themed party! It’s crazier than any Halloween party that you have ever attended. Complete with decorations, costumes, music and food to represent the theme – you can’t help but get into the spirit of it! This coming year, with a Sci-fi convention, I can promise you that it will be the one and only time you will ever see me dressed up in a Sci-Fi costume!
Now, time to go work on my costume. Hope to see you there!